I have written before about vitamin D and autoimmune diseases, including multiple sclerosis. What’s more, I take a daily supplement of 5,000 IU (international units) of vitamin D3. That started when I was found to be deficient in the vitamin last October.
D3 is the main element, one of many, in an MS treatment protocol developed by Dr Cicero Coimbra, a neurologist in Brazil. As yet, as far as I am aware, the Coimbra Protocol has not been the subject of any clinical trials and so is not approved by any regulatory authority. Its claimed success rate is, though, impressive. And patients are keen to sing its praises.
This is the story of one such patient, as told by her mother Karen Bell:
My daughter has MS, diagnosed a year ago when she was 20 years old. She heard she most likely has progressive MS as MR scan showed she already has a permanent black hole in her brain.
Because my husband also has MS, I was very familiar with the disease and the probability of disability. That’s why I went into total research mode.
I kept finding stuff about vitamin D helping MS (even more than the drugs), and read tons of studies. I read about Wahls and other things. But, what made the most sense to me, from all my research, was the Coimbra Protocol.
Dr Cicero Coimbra, a neurologist and researcher in Brazil, developed his protocol using high doses of vitamin D. He has personally treated thousands of patients and is now training doctors around the world, for free.
Coimbra success rate 95%, anecdotal reports
Of the people on the protocol, 95% go into total remission and many of them recover from their disabilities, some totally. Most of the remaining 5% either didn’t follow directions or had tremendous stress in their lives. This is known to cause immune system problems.
The protocol sounded amazing and almost too good to true. Why didn’t my daughter’s neurologist know about it? I took vitamin D studies into the appointment to discuss her treatment, but he said ‘you can find studies about anything and many of them are flawed’. He didn’t even want to hear much about the protocol because it hadn’t been studied and the doctor was from Brazil. Such a closed mind!!!
He wanted to put her on Plegridy. While waiting for the insurance stuff to go through, I did more research, even had a person who speaks Portuguese look through the Facebook group I found full of patients of the protocol, and look at the YouTube videos, to try to see if this was for real. That person came back saying if they had MS, they would do it.
We became convinced that the protocol was what we wanted to do and found a doctor in the United States. We were so afraid a relapse would disable our daughter. She had already had four of them in five months, so we decided to start the Plegridy. The plan was she would stay on it until she could start the protocol. Well, the first shot caused an allergic reaction so we said no to any drugs and decided to wait for the appointment to see the Coimbra Protocol doctor.
Vitamins, no drugs, no relapses
Long story short, my daughter started the protocol and has never had another relapse and is stronger and feels great. She is living a normal life and only has to take vitamins, no shots or other meds with side effects! As a mother, I am now confident my daughter will have a normal and wonderful life.
It is important to know that Dr Coimbra says the protocol stops MS; it is not a cure.
I am sure vitamin D has a key role to play. This is in both helping to prevent and treat MS. Coimbra’s work is as yet untested in clinical trials, but many people say it does work. So, clinical trials need to start soon.
The main problem would seem likely to be the availability of funding for such trials. After all, Big Pharma finances most trials on the way to developing new drug therapies. Unfortunately, I cannot see any of them paying for research into a protocol that doesn’t use their drugs.
* * * * *
* * * * *
50shadesofsun.com is the personal website of Ian Franks, a Features Writer with Medical News Today. He enjoyed a successful career as a journalist, from reporter to editor in the print media. He gained a Journalist of the Year award in his native UK. Ian received a diagnosis of MS in 2002 and now lives in the south of Spain. He uses a wheelchair and advocates on mobility and accessibility issues.